While 2016 presented its own set of travel challenges, 2017 was particularly eventful when it came to how travelers visited the world.
· From devastating hurricanes to California wildfires, Mother Nature rewrote the travel map.
· Airlines stooped to new lows and reached new highs. The year was marked with in-flight brawls, new ticket policies and some airlines upgrading to premium cabin configurations.
· Cruising grew up (and got younger). Cruise companies made a major effort to attract new customers by going to exciting new destinations. Many also offered new tours and updated entertainment and dining concepts on board.
· With breaking news reaching an all-time high, unplugging took on new importance. Travelers longed for mental well-being and holistic wellness.
· “Enhanced security and screening” made for enormous new headaches at airports.
· From Venice to Peru, the effects of over-tourism were felt around the world. Local governments confronted the fact that tourism is an important economic engine, but too much of it becomes destructive.